Friday, October 28, 2016

Halloween Scavenger Hunt Rerelease

Three years ago I released a small game to my friends on social media sites.  This game was called "Halloween 2013," or "Halloween Scavenger Hunt."

This year I decided to update and rerelease the game with some new features.

Halloween games were a tradition for me once upon a time, starting in 2008.  I tried to get one made every year, even if it would be very unambitious.  It started with an incredibly simple arcade-style score builder game about a guy running around a field with a shovel fighting pumpkin-headed monsters that I programmed in 4 hours.  The Halloween Scavenger Hunt was the last game in the tradition, and because I had lumped on some additional ambition what should have been a 2 day project became 5 days, not releasing until November 1st.


The idea had started as an attempt to make a collect-a-thon where the player must evade zombies in a grave yard.  This would be a score-building arcade survival game that would go on until the player is inevitabily caught.  I ended up expanding the scenery and soon enough I was adding more monsters and items.  It became obvious that the game was going to become a scavenger hunt, and it was clear to me what I wanted the finished product to be.
With graphics ripped from Earthbound, Mother, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors! I designed the game around darting around and evading enemies while collecting items.
To this day I'm still really happy with how this game came out.  Even with the borrowed graphics I feel like this is a game that expressed exactly the feel I wanted it to.  It has exploration, interesting enemies, secrets, simple gameplay, and lots of variety.


Want to help me keep making free games?  Try checking out my art shop and buying some cool merchandise with my characters and designs on it.  It helps me stay alive long enough to make stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment